Friday, June 30, 2006

Not Ready To Die

Hi, my name is Ben. I'm currently on the road travelling Europe for three months. I've been very fortunate to have met many CouchSurfers-- both hosts and surfers alike-- during my travels. In short, I love the concept and I love the community.

So it was a complete shock to see the sitedown message-- reproduced here-- after what I thought would be a short recovery effort by the CouchSurfing admin team. I love the sentiments that Casey gives to the entire community, but the letter seems like a eulogy.

I don't know what the future plans are for CouchSurfing. I don't know when/if it will come back. I DO KNOW that I want CouchSurfing to survive. So what did I do?

  1. A Save CouchSurfing Website (In progress)-- http://savecouchsurfing.org/
  2. The Blog-- http://savecouchsurfing.blogspot.com/
  3. The Forum-- http://savecouchsurfing.org/forum/

I will post news as I get it on this blog. The SaveCouchSurfing.org main page has some issues, so it's not quite up and...

PLEASE use the forum to try to reconnect with other CouchSurfers. Use the forum to post messages to another. Best Practice Instructions will be in the Forum post... I hope this forum will allow hosts and surfers to reconnect-- especially for those that are on the road.

Please be patient if the site isn't complete or nice looking. We are trying to get everything set up as quickly as possible.

Email savecouchsurfing@gmail.com for any service problems, but use the forum for everything else. There are a others-- Alan, and Jess confirmed; I am waiting to hear from other good CSers-- that are helping with the site so everything should go while I'm disconnected on the road.

Cheers,
Ben

8 Comments:

At 3:42 AM, Blogger Nora said...

awesome ben.. dude I made a myspace for couchsurfing:www.myspace.com/couchsurf MAYBE I CAN CHANGE IT TO SAVE couchsurfing :)
nora -

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger almostawriter said...

Ben.. AM so glad you set this up..

I have created a site called revivecouchsurfing.blogspot.com as well and getting Idia members to sign up...

We can integrate the database together..

I will tell more people about this as well..

Aparna

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Narnua said...

the chat is still up it seems,
http://chat2.couchsurfing.com/chat/flashchat.php

and there are some people in couchsurfing.tribes.net

Anu

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Yinghwa said...

Hey guys,

Just dropping a note to say "hi". :) I'm the "Jess" that Ben mentions in his blog. My username was (is!) Moiliayinghwa at CS.

Ben, thanks for setting this up! *big hug*!~ Will be in touch w/ you soon. :) Also, seriously man - DVDs. I'm getting you some, regardless of whether you want them or not. So hmph. ;)

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Ricardo said...

Hi Ben!

You're the greatest, man! Thanks for doing this, setting the website and blog.
Contact me if you think I can help.

CouchSurfing WILL, somehow, survive.

Think positive!

Ricardo (OMSHANTI) from Portugal

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Charles Palmer said...

We're setting up a site shortly called restlesslondon.com which could act as a temporary home for London or UK-based couchsurfers.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Charles

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Charles Palmer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger couchsurfingshelter said...

I've got http://couchsurfingshelter.blogspot.com set up... we need to put all our efforts together...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home